Saturday, January 11, 2014

Why do bad things happen to good people?

Here is a post from Facebook from my pastor, Mike Sprott, who recently found out that his 6 year old son has a brain aneurysm. This was very encouraging to me but I can see how one might wonder HOW can he have this prospective? The answer... he knows the King of Kings! 





Why do bad things happen to good people? Well first off that question is not a good one because NONE are good (Romans 3:10-11). Yes we are God's children, but in fact, we are born dead in our sins and deserving judgment, BUT GOD sent His Son to die for those who place their faith and trust in Him (2 Cor. 5:21). Christ made a way for sinners, like my son Luke and myself to be made right with God through trust in Him (Romans 5:1). So there are no good people only justified people who God is changing to make look more His Son and lost people who need to repent and believe in Him.

This process of change for the believer includes helping us to value Christ over the things of the world more and more (Romans 12:2). This transformation includes our attitudes and commitments to health, wealth and popularity. These things must not be our 'idols.' They must not be more important to us than knowing and enjoying God. We must turn to Christ and trust in Him alone continually (Proverbs 3:5-6). This week we have been able to demonstrate our faith in Jesus like never before. We are trusting in the God who is SOVEREIGN over all (1 Timothy 6:15). He has ordained for my son to suffer. He has determined for my wife and I watch in agony as our little son has suffered. I know this sounds horrible, but it is not!

Many may ask "if God is so good why would he allow or ordain such events for His children who are trusting in Him?" THE short answer may not be accepted by many, but it is also the main line from a Shai Linne Rap song, “Our God is in the heavens and He does whatever He pleases! (Psalm 115:3) This is where faith is shown in this world. When we who have been saved by God trust in Jesus, the only thing that really matters is what pleases God, even if it doesn’t please us. See we are the creation. We don't always see how these events will effect eternity. We don't see how this is actually for our good. We don't fully understand it, but the Word tells us these circumstances are for our good and God’s glory (Romans 8:28-29). So we trust in Him!

Some of you might ask, “How are you doing it?” Well first off let me explain something. IT IS NOT EASY! It hurts...My eyes are burning. My soul is weary. I have gone hours without sleeping well. I have eaten very little. I am very concerned. I hurt and more importantly I WANT to fix my Son or take His place! But God has ordained this! Beloved, God saved me from the hell I deserve so how in the world can I question His goodness. I know He loves me because He saved me from the just judgment I deserve! Praise the Lamb! So it is not easy, but GOD has shown love beyond measure in the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

Second, I am forever aware that GOD has ordained something much worse that He also used for His glory. See The FATHER watched The SON suffer like I have watched my son suffer. However the suffering The Father observed far surpasses anything Luke or any of us will ever experience. Jesus was seized by cruel men and nailed to a cross. He was rejected and despised by His own people (Isaiah 53). He was mocked and tortured (John 19). And then to top it all off, He endured the JUDGMENT on the cross from the Father that I DESERVED (Romans 5:10)! Jesus took my eternity in Hell, my judgment that I deserved, upon Himself for three dark hours. This was suffering beyond what I could ever experience or Luke could ever experience. And The Father watched!

Beloved these truths shut my mouth when I begin to complain and grumble! I know GOD worked through an event like this to save a people for Himself! HOW can I give up? How can we despair? How can we loose hope with this great news ever before our eyes? WE CAN’T and WE WON’T! For as for me and my house we will serve the LORD! (Joshua 23:15)

Third, why in the world would I rob God of an opportunity of showing Himself off in My life and the life of my family?!?! God is using this to reach people all around the world. He is saying through our faith and trust in Him, “GOD is worthy of following even in suffering!” God is better than life or death; sickness or health; wealth or poverty! God is GOOD! So my friend I don’t despair “I Can NOT believe how blessed I am that He would consider me worthy of suffering for His name sake!” Praise the Lamb! Thank you for your prayers. Please keep them coming for we want to glorify Him more! We want every person in the world to hear OUR God is in the heaven and He does whatever He pleases and this is GOOD so trust HIM!  





No comments:

Post a Comment