Friday, March 30, 2012

Why I choose to home-school

I must brag that I have the perfect job! I teach 2nd grade at a school that is part home-school and part Christian school and in perfect harmony. It is truly the best of both worlds. I started teaching there last year because I wanted to work part time so I would be home with my kids more. That reason alone would make this opportunity appealing. Honestly, I never wanted to home-school before because I am social and loved going to school and sad to admit, I thought some home school kids I knew growing up were a little weird. . My original plan was to teach part-time until my kids were old enough to go to school and then I would return to full time teaching at a nice Christian school that my children would attend. Don't get me wrong, I still think that is a good plan. But then I became part of Tampa Christian Community School and found a much better plan for my family. I realized somewhere along the line that just because it is "normal " to send your kids to school 6-8 hours a day being influenced by someone else does not mean that is best for them. I want my husband and I to be the main example in my kids lives. I want to be with them and build strong core values based on the Bible. For us, public school has always been out of the question, especially since I've worked in one and want no part of what is valued. Maybe when they are older and I believe they are a strong enough to keep Christ first, I will reconsider but it would depend on the child and situation so I will cross that bridge when I get to it. Even in a Christian school, someone else could still have a greater influence on my children than I do. I want to be the one to shape their minds. I want to see their faces when they learn a new concept. I want to be the one who builds their confidence, teaches them to read, to write a poem, make a family pictograph, discover how large a blue whale is and memorize their math facts. I want to incorporate Christ in all lessons and teaching moments. I love the school where I work because it allows me to do all of that and it allows my children to still be part of a classroom and enjoy cooperative learning. At TCCS, teachers and parents partner in the education of the students. I send lesson plans to every parent and they are all 100% involved and supportive. I am amazed that the things my 2nd graders can do. I am so excited for my children to be part of the community at TCCS and to home-school them.

No comments:

Post a Comment